Before, there were 3 Rs: Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. Now there there is a fourth: Coding. Coding is being introduced into school curriculums all around the world. But why is this happening? Why must kids learn to code?
Below are some important reasons for kids to learn to write computer code
- Programming helps children learn to problem-solve: Learning the basics of coding helps children to develop an appreciation of how things work. It also teaches them how software engineers use math in order to solve problems in a logical and creative way.
- Computer programming gives kids a challenge and helps them develop resilience: When children learn to code, they develop the ability to bounce back after failure. They learn that failure isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and in fact, it can often be something positive because it serves as a learning opportunity.
- Coding teaches children how to think: Computer programming isn’t just about teaching how to type lines of code. It is more about teaching children how to think differently. Being able to code effectively, a programmer needs to use logical thinking. They need to be able to see a large problem and break it down into smaller pieces in order to solve it in an effective manner.
- Computer programming is the future: A child who learns how to code will have the advantage in life with more employment opportunities available to them in the future, no matter which industry they decide to enter whether it be in the technology sector, finance, retail, health or other.
- Coding helps children learn how to have fun with math:Children can grow their math skills while coding, without even realizing it. Using their logic and calculation skills while creating something of their own can make maths more engaging and fun.